English Proficiency For International Students
St. Thomas policy requires international students to prove a minimum level of English proficiency for university level studies. Applicants must meet at least ONE of the following qualifications:
(Native English speakers from the following countries are exempted from this requirement: English-speaking Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Commonwealth Caribbean Countries)
- TOEFL iBT: total score of 80 or higher (St. Thomas TOEFL code is 6110)
- IELTS: total score of 6.5 or higher
- SAT: 500 or higher on Evidence Based Reading and Writing
- ACT: 21 or higher on both English AND Reading sections
- Pearson PTE Academic: Score of 53 or higher
- West African Exams Council Senior School Certificate: B3 or higher on English
- GTEC CBT: Score of 1200 or higher
- International Baccalaureate (IB): HL English score of 4 or higher
- AP exam: score of 4 or higher in English Literature/Composition
- ELS Language Center: Level 112 completion certificate with minimum GPA of 2.5. Applicants with GPA 2.0-2.49 will be subjected to a committee review and may be asked for additional evidence of English proficiency.
- Transfer of 28 credits or more from an accredited U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher and the transfer equivalent of St. Thomas English 121 and 206 with a grade of B or above in the English courses.
Score reports must be sent to St. Thomas directly from the testing center and must not be more than 2 years old.
Other Ways to be Admitted
ELS Language Center
Testing Upon Arrival
All undergraduate international students are required to take a placement test for English composition classes upon arrival to St. Thomas.
Exceptions to this requirement are those who have a verifiable TOEFL score of 100 ibt or above, an IELTS score of 7.5 or above, or a bachelor's degree from an accredited US college or university (not an online degree).
The University of St. Thomas reserves the right to require additional testing of any incoming student's English skills.