Using Veterans Education Benefits
Apply for your VA education benefits at va.gov.
First-time applicants: complete the online form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits)
If you have used benefits previously at another school, complete the online form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). It is important to complete this form online in order to list St. Thomas as the school of attendance, update your mailing address and confirm your bank information. Please provide our office with a copy of the complete 22-1995 form.
After the VA has approved and processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the VA. Please provide a copy of the COE to our office.
Provide a copy of your COE/Award letter to the Office of Student Data and Registrar.
New students: After you have registered for your first semester, you will receive an email requesting that you complete a 7-question survey located on Murphy Online. This survey is your authorization to use your benefits for the upcoming academic year.
Continuing students: Please provide an updated copy of your COE each academic year. Providing and updated award letter will allow us to apply anticipated funds to your student account prior to receiving payment from the VA. Should the VA pay an amount that differs from our estimate, we will work with the VA to determine why there is a discrepancy. Should it be determined that the VA payment is correct, we will adjust the amount on our account and you will be responsible for any remaining charges.
Any finance charges assessed on the VA portion will be reversed when payment is applied. If your eligibility is less than 100%, it is recommended that students make payments on their portion as soon as possible to avoid a finance charge.
You will receive an email requesting you complete a 7-question survey located on Murphy Online. This survey is your authorization to use your benefits for the upcoming academic year.
Step 3 - Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Benefits
The monthly housing allowance is paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the previous month.
For students with 100% eligibility rate, the maximum book stipend is $1000 per academic year. The book stipend pays approximately $41.67 per credit certified up to 24 credits for the academic year. This is also paid to the student.
After the add/drop period (typically the first 10 days of classes) each student's enrollment and actual charges will be reviewed. We will report any changes in enrollment and net charges to the VA and the St. Thomas Business Office.
Eligibility criteria and benefits vary. Veterans education benefits must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
For questions regarding tour VA education benefits, please call the VA Education Call Center at (888) 442-4551, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (CST).
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
As a National Guard student, you may be eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA), Chapter 1606 and MN State Tuition Reimbursement. Students are not eligible to use FTA and Chapter 1606 for the same classes. Your eligibility to apply for FTA will depend on which military branch you serve in.
To be approved for Army Federal Tuition Assistance:
- Contact the Minnesota National Guard Education Services Office to inquire about your chapter eligibility:
- Phone: (651) 282-4589
- Address: Joint Force Headquarters, 20 12th St. W, Saint Paul, MN 55155
- Email: Ng.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Course Planner at GoArmyEd a minimum of 30 days prior to the start of the term. GoArmyEd must approve your planner before the start of each semester.
- After your course planner has been completed, request FTA for classes by clicking on the “Request FTA” button on the GoArmyEd home page.
- This step is required every semester.
- Call the FTA Help Desk at (800) 817-9990 for assistance.
- Submit your FAFSA. The St. Thomas school code is 002345.
- Complete the Army Tuition Assistance Authorization form located at GoArmyEd and return the form to Leslee Kafka in the Business Office at email@example.com.
Impotant Information - FTA will not be paid
- IF your course planner is not approved prior to the start of the semester, you will not be eligible for FTA. The Army does not grant extensions to this deadline.
- IF you change courses after you have entered course information in GoArmyEd, the Army will not pay FTA. Only enrolled courses that match to your GoArmyEd course entry will be paid.
- IF the Army Tuition Assistance Authorization form is not submitted to the Business Office, FTA will not be paid.
State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)
Students looking to use State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) will need to contact their unit full-time representative. The MN National Guard website provides information about the Reimbursement Application Procedures. The "Final Fee Statement" can be found on Murphy Online which is your student account statement. Typically it is the August statement which reflects actual charges for fall semester. Please let us know if you have any questions. While we cannot answer specific questions regarding the STR process, we can assist you with questions on where to find information needed for the application.
Verify your enrollment
Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 recipients: To receive your benefit payment, please verify your enrollment at the end of each month during the semesters you are using your benefits. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call (877) 823-2378.
Important Notice to eligible MN veterans:
The Minnesota G.I. Bill program was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary educational assistance to eligible MN veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible MN veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester.
To review the entire list of eligibility requirements and to complete the online Minnesota GI Bill Application, please click here.
If you have questions about the MN GI Bill, please contact our Financial Aid Office at (651) 962-6550 or the MN Office of Higher Education at (651) 259-3955.
|School Certifying Officials||Veterans Resources|
Minnesota Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Resource Office (Duane Bauer)