Is Music the Key to Success?
An article in the New York Times highlighted the fact that you are likely to find musicians at the top of almost any industry, citing filmmaker Woody Allen, broadcaster Paula Zahn, NBC chief White House correspondent Chuck Todd, Condoleezza Rice, former chairman of the Federal Reserve Alan Greenspan and co-founder of Microsoft Paul Alan as successful individuals who share a rigorous engagement in the study of music. Whether you pursue a career within the music industry, or transfer your skills to a non-music profession, St. Thomas can help you reach your goals.
If you're considering a music major, you may have already identified your dream music career. Performer? Educator? Entrepreneur? Or maybe you're not sure what you can do with a music degree.
What Can I Do With This Major? career guides will help you connect majors to careers. Learn about the typical career areas and the types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
Have you ever wondered how much money you'll make in a music career? The Music Careers In Dollars and Cents provides a comprehensive guide of salary ranges for the full spectrum of music careers.
What Can You Do with a Music Degree? 70+ Careers & Salaries Revealed, compiled by Music School Central, offers additional insight.
The Future of Music Coalition published financial case studies profiling the artist revenues of jazz bandleader-composer, indie rock composer-performer, jazz sideman-bandleader, professional orchestra player and contemporary chamber ensemble.
Music Education, Vocal or Instrumental
- Work in Minnesota and across the United States as elementary, secondary and college music educators (nearly 100% of music education students are employed within one year of graduation)
- Perform with the Metropolitan Opera, the Minnesota Opera and major orchestras across the United States
- Perform in professional jazz and rock bands
- Pursue graduate studies at some of the top graduate schools in the country
- Global Marketing at Warner Music Group, Los Angeles, CA (Natalie Gaskins, '18)
- Artist Manager at Red Light Management, Nashville, TN (Alex Heimerman, '19)
- Development, Events and Communications Assistant at Basilica of St. Mary, Minneapolis, MN (Liz Legatt, '18)
- Talent Buyer at Live Nation, Minneapolis, MN (Mitch Roers, '19)
- Social Media Manager at The Riveter, Seattle, WA (Hannah Rosentreter, '18)
- Associate Brand Manager at Blizzard Entertainment, Los Angeles, CA (Rachel Siteman, '14)
- Music Supervision Intern at In the Groove Music, Minneapolis, MN (Courtney Yurich, '20)
- Serve as music ministers through the United States
- Pursue upper-level degrees and teach at colleges and universities such as Gonzaga and Marquette
- Director for liturgy at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, Hastings, MN (Kellen O'Grady, '10)
- Classroom teacher, conductor and award winning composer (Dr. Josh Bauder, '10)
- Freelance musician, Music Director at SoulLections and studio teacher (David Feily, '11)
- The ideal degree for students who are considering a double major. Seven elective credits allow for flexibility and customization