Undergraduate Fellowship for Research on Women and/or Gender-Related Issues
The Luann Dummer Center for Women is pleased to offer an undergraduate fellowship for research on women and/or gender-related issues. This award has been offered since the 1996-1997 academic year.
Proposals are accepted from students in all academic disciplines who will be juniors or seniors during the year of the fellowship. Students must be enrolled at St. Thomas during most or all of this time period. Preference will be given to applicants who have not already received LDCW funding for the proposed project. The grant recipient can complete his or her research at any time during the 2021-2022 academic year; however, we encourage applicants to finish their work during the summer of 2021. Students who apply must have a faculty sponsor; provide a list of research questions and goals, along with a project timetable; have demonstrated knowledge of current literature and research methods; and indicate how the proposed research fits into their development as a scholar. A $4,000 stipend will be awarded to the student to support work on the project, and a $1,500 stipend will be provided to the faculty sponsor.
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- the degree to which the project is focused on the significance of gender, women, and/or girls,
- the applicant's familiarity with and use of appropriate methodologies,
- the clarity of the research objectives and plan of action,
- the overall academic strengths of the applicant and their potential for completing the project,
- the reasonableness of the project timeline, including IRB approval where applicable,
- the originality of the proposal,
- and the support of the faculty sponsor.
The research fellow must credit the Luann Dummer Center for Women in all research papers, publications, or other outcomes of the research. The fellow must submit a formal research report and present their work at an appropriate venue (such as the grant recipients reception) in the Luann Dummer Center for Women during spring semester 2022.
The application cover sheet and proposal should be submitted as one PDF, or Word document, to the Luann Dummer Center for Women, email@example.com, no later than 4:30 pm on Friday, March 12, 2021. Members of the LDCW Advisory Board will then review applications and notify applicants of their decision.
1. A cover sheet with the following information:
- Your name, student ID number, mail box number, home address, phone number, and e-mail address
- Your major
- The title of your project and an abstract (less than 50 words)
- The faculty sponsor's name and department, phone #, and e-mail address
2. A research proposal, either 1.5 or double-spaced, no more than 5 pages, which includes:
- A discussion of the goals and significance of your research proposal
- An overview of related literature, including important citations
- A description of research activities and methods
- A timetable for your work
- A description of your preparation for this research and a discussion of how it fits into your development as a scholar
3. A letter of support from your faculty sponsor
4. A Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
An example of a winning proposal from the previous year will be provided upon request.
The Luann Dummer Center for Women requests that all recipients be involved in LDCW programs (such as Feminist Fridays) throughout the duration of their fellowship. These and other events can be found on our website.