Luann Dummer Center for Women
The Luann Dummer Center for Women (LDCW) addresses the needs and aspirations of women. The Center’s educational programs, activities, and resources are available to students, faculty and staff of the university. These services foster the intellectual, spiritual and personal development of women, and promote an open and diverse environment at St. Thomas. By enhancing academic experiences and providing developmental opportunities, the Center assists women in achieving their highest potential. As the Center fulfills this purpose, it contributes to the entire campus community. The Luann Dummer Center for Women was established in 1993 by a special bequest from Dr. Luann Dummer's estate.
LDCW Seeks Faculty Director
The University of St. Thomas is seeking a full-time faculty member to be director of the Luann Dummer Center for Women. Compensation for this position is the equivalent of three courses released time per year, plus January Term and summer stipend. Qualified candidates include tenured faculty and clinical faculty who have been at St. Thomas for at least five years.
The director is responsible for:
- Supporting the Center’s mission to serve all members of the St. Thomas community who identify as women and promote an open, diverse environment on campus;
- Planning and organizing the activities and programs sponsored by the Center for Women, including the Luann Dummer Lecture Series to be held annually in March, Women’s History Month;
- Creating partnerships and coordinating activities with other UST groups and programs, including the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program, the Center for Well-Being (on sexual violence awareness and prevention activities and other wellness topics).
- Advising undergraduate and graduate student groups (such as FemCom and Graduate FemCom) affiliated with the Center
- Serving on the Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Advisory Committee, and working closely with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI).
- Supervising maintenance of the center’s website and the publication of Many Voices magazine;
- Developing and maintaining the art collection of the center and its collection of books, periodicals and other educational resources;
- Chairing the advisory board of the center and coordinating the selection of its members;
- Forming relationships with centers for women on other campuses throughout the country and with local women’s organizations as appropriate;
- Administering the grant, fellowship and scholarship programs of the center;
- Administering the center, including:
- Managing its budgets
- Hiring and supervising its employees and student workers
- Coordinating the care of the physical space
- Overseeing the use of its meeting space
The anticipated starting date is July 1, 2023. The director will serve a three-year term, renewable once, with the possibility of reapplying for the position after a period of two years.
Applicants are requested to send the following materials to Amy McDonough via e-mail (email@example.com) by Friday, March 31st: 1) a résumé, 2) a letter of application outlining the reasons for interest in the position, relevant experience with the Center and other relevant experience, and 3) a statement from the candidate’s department chair indicating the department’s willingness to release the candidate’s time to the center.
Staff Seats Open on LDCW Advisory Board
The advisory board, composed of faculty, staff, and students, is a decision-making body for the LDCW on matters concerning the Center’s budget, membership, programs, grant-reviews, and other important matters. The board meets five to six times during the academic year (more if necessary) and is in frequent communication with the Center’s director to assist in various ways, including the development of policy for the Center. The term is 3 years, with the possibility of serving a second 3-year term.
Those interested are invited to send a statement of interest (about 1-2 pages) to the Luann Dummer Center for Women, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 5:30 pm on Friday, March 24th.
Please include information on academic and/or professional experience with issues related to women, gender equity, and/or social justice. We are looking for energetic and committed people who share the goals of the LDCW. Please view the LDCW website for its mission and programs: https://www.stthomas.edu/ldcw/
- Staff Seats on the LDCW Advisory Board
We are seeking applications from staff of the University interested in serving on the advisory board.
While all applications are welcome, those who can satisfy one or more aspects of the following are particularly encouraged to apply: an understanding of the institutional history of the LDCW; diversity in backgrounds, representations, and disciplines; and affiliation with the Minneapolis campus.
If you have any questions about the Center or the work of its advisory board, contact a current board member, or e-mail LDCW Program Manager Christine Balsley, email@example.com. Current board members are:
Shaz Ahmadi, Department of History; Maria Helena Buitrago Cohoon, Graduate Student Representative; Paola Ehrmantraut, Classical Languages & Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies Chair; Amy McDonough, Ex Officio; Anne Osler, Department of History; Liz Wilkinson, Department of English; Nasteho Yasin, Undergraduate Student Representative.