University of St. Thomas study abroad students walk through Piazza del Popolo in Rome, Italy, on March 01, 2013.


St. Thomas law school students have studied abroad in many areas of the world, including: Chile, Germany, France, England, India, Netherlands, Greece, China, Argentina, Ireland, Mexico, Malta, Hungary, South Africa and Italy. If you decide to apply to an ABA-approved study abroad program, you will be assisted by the Associate Dean of Admissions and International Studies, the Office on International Study, the office of Graduate Financial Aid, and the Office of Academic Achievement. 

  1. Identify a program that you wish to participate in; visit Study Abroad Graduate Programs page for relevant information and St. Thomas forms. Confirm that the program is ABA accredited.
  2. The contact person in St. Thomas’ Office of Study Abroad is Suzanne Windett (651-962-6450).
  3. Request verification from Associate Dean Joel Nichols (651-962-4827) that the program you propose will be applied as transfer credit to your St. Thomas degree – see ABA requirement above. Request his signature on the completed Course Approval Record.
  4. Log in to the study abroad application system using your University of St. Thomas credentials and complete the summer co-sponsored law questionnaire.  After clicking on link, click ‘Apply Now’ and log in using your St. Thomas username and password. You will then enter information regarding your program of choice.
  5. When the questionnaire is completed, the program will be created in our system and you will be notified by e-mail to proceed with your application.
  6. You may apply directly to your chosen program (many have online applications). If there is a paper application and/or if there are any other required documents, you may send them directly to your program.
  7. If your program requests that you submit a 'Letter of Good Standing', you may request this from Jill Akervik, Law School Registrar (651) 962-4928.
  8. Submit the St. Thomas forms, including the Consortium Agreement to Suzanne Windett in the Office of Study Abroad no later than March 15th. To send your documents via campus mail, submit an envelope marked 'Suzanne Windett, Mail 5026' to the front desk of the Student Services Suite in MSL 124 and ask them to place it in their outgoing campus mailbox.
  9. Once approved by Study Abroad, St. Thomas will forward the completed Consortium Agreement on to your program and make arrangements to make payment to the program on your behalf. Program charges are billed on your St. Thomas summer account.
  10. Student loans may be available for short-term study abroad. Contact Chad Nosbusch (651-962-4051) in Student Financial Services.
  11. The Office of Study Abroad provides you with pre-departure travel, health and safety information.
  12. In addition to the cost of the program, St. Thomas charges an off-campus study fee of $284.50 to the student's account for the term abroad.

IMPORTANT:  Study Abroad will use your St. Thomas e-mail as a means to communicate important information and announcements while you are applying and preparing to study abroad. Please check it regularly.

Policies and Procedures for Programs Offered by Other U.S. Institutions

Study Abroad Options

The School of Law will accept credits from an overseas summer program of an ABA-accredited law school, as long as that program has been approved by the ABA, and as long as the student achieves a grade of "C" or better in each course for which he or she seeks credit. To be certain that your program is ABA-approved, verify the program school’s ABA status online here (click on ‘resources for students’).

Academically many law programs abroad offer a wide range of subjects such as comparative systems or topics in international law; thus study abroad presents an academic opportunity that ‘contextualizes’ being in another culture while studying. For summer law school programs go to select ‘summer programs’).

No matter how many credits a student earns in an overseas summer program, the student will still have to be in residence on the St. Thomas campus for six semesters in order to complete a St. Thomas law degree. In other words, a student cannot graduate early because of credits earned in an overseas summer program.

A first-year student who does not achieve at least a 2.00 GPA in the first semester may not enroll in an overseas summer program or make a deposit on such a program without the permission of the Associate Dean.

A student may not earn credit in an overseas summer program if he or she is not in good academic standing. For example, a first-year student who has not achieved at least a 2.00 GPA in the second semester may not earn credit in an overseas program during the summer between the first and second years of law school. Students should bear this policy in mind when deciding whether to make a non-refundable deposit on a program.

Study Abroad Advising

Law students seeking to apply to study abroad programs offered by other U.S. institutions should consult with Suzanne Windett, in the Office of Study Abroad, as they prepare an application for study abroad. You can reach Ms. Windett at For advice on study abroad options, please contact Cari Haaland, Associate Dean of Admissions, at

Selection of Students

All students participating in study abroad must be in good academic standing. For graduate students, the approval for students to study abroad will be the prerogative of the individual graduate program directors or deans.

Students will be expected to work closely with their academic advisors to identify and gain graduate school approval for the courses taken abroad. Students will be expected to obtain such approval in writing as part of the formal application process. Once approved by their respective graduate programs, the student application should be submitted Associate Director of Study Abroad.

Once a student receives approval, the IEC is then responsible for forwarding the application on to the program or host institution, ensuring proper registration and billing for the student at St. Thomas for the period abroad.