At the University of St. Thomas School of Law, we are focused on providing an innovative and student-centered legal education unlike any other in the country. We welcome the accolades that have come our way.
- #2 for practical training: In 2017, St. Thomas School of Law was named the #2 law school in the country for practical training by National Jurist.
- #8 for best professors: St. Thomas School of Law professors are currently ranked #8 on Princeton Review’s “Best Professors” list. The faculty also made the top 10 in 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- #30 for clinical training: St. Thomas School of Law for the third time landed on U.S. News and World Report's best law school clinical training rankings, taking our place at #30 in the nation.
- Influence in legal education: Professor Jerry Organ is consistently named one of the most influential people in legal education, sitting at #19 in 2017.
- Outstanding classroom instruction: In 2011, Dean Robert Vischer was named to National Jurist’s list of "23 Law Profs to Take Before You Die."
- Scholarly impact: Out of 200 law schools nationwide, St. Thomas School of Law's world-class faculty rank #39 for scholarly impact, using the methodology developed by University of Chicago law professor Brian Leiter.
- Best LL.M. academics: The LL.M. in U.S. Law program at St. Thomas received an A rating for academics on International Jurist's 2017 List of Best LL.M. Programs.
Outstanding career preparation and relationship development
- #1 for externship: St. Thomas School of Law is ranked #1 in the country by National Jurist for having the most externship placements per full-time; we've held that ranking since 2013. Our Mentor Externship Program matches every current J.D. student with a mentor during all three years of law school.
- #1 in alumni support: No other law school has been able to match our percentage of alumni who give to the annual fund. Our graduates believe in our mission.
- #10 for best value: According to PreLaw Magazine, St. Thomas School of Law is the #10 Best Value Private Law School in the nation, and the top among private law schools in Minnesota. Employment is the most important factor in the ranking, accounting for 35 percent.
- Career development support: Compared with students at other law schools, St. Thomas School of Law students report greater satisfaction with the support they receive for career and professional development.
Supportive, purpose-driven community
- #5 for quality of life: St. Thomas School of Law is currently ranked #5 on Princeton Review’s “Best Quality of Student Life” list. We've landed in the top 10 on this list nearly every year since 2008.
- Measurable impact: In a nationwide survey of law students, St. Thomas School of Law students reported greater satisfaction than students at peer schools on: the support they receive from their law school to succeed in the classroom, balance life and law school, and find meaningful employment; their development of values, ethics, career goals and a commitment to serve the community; and their likelihood to choose the same law school again.
- Scholarships and support: The School of Law has raised more than $100 million in gifts and pledges to establish professorships and chairs, and to provide financial aid for students.
- Best LL.M. experience: The LL.M. in U.S. Law program at St. Thomas received an A rating for law school experience on International Jurist's 2017 list of Best LL.M. Programs.