Guide to Student Pay Rates
- On-campus student pay rates are based on the duties, expectations, and qualifications of the position.
- The pay levels listed below have been established to provide equitable pay rates across all university departments.
- Questions: Contact the Student Employment Specialist, Mary Ruce at Mary.Ruce@stthomas.edu
As of July 24, 2016, the minimum wage increased to $9.50 per hour.
The pay structure has been updated for Fall 2016 to account for this increase and has affected all job levels.
CLICK THE IMAGE BEOW TO ENLARGE
Student Pay Rates for Regular (R) and Technical (T) Positions
Technical positions build upon the requirements and descriptions of duties listed for Regular positions within the same level.
Regular (R1) - $9.50
- Duties are of a generally routine and simple nature.
- Requires little or no experience.
- Close supervision.
Technical (T1) - $9.50
- Assists with technical related questions.
- Requires basic knowledge of PCs and operating systems.
Regular (R2) - $9.75
- Duties are routine.
- Involves a reasonable degree of responsibility and judgement.
- Direct supervision.
Technical (T2) - $10.00
- Completes technical, laboratory, or research tasks of a basic level.
- Requires specific technical, laboratory, or research knowledge or skill and/or equivalent experience or training.
- Requires ability to problem solve and attention to detail.
Regular (R3) - $10.00
- Duties are semi-routine
- Involves a moderate degree of responsibility and judgement.
- Some direct supervision.
Technical (T3) - $10.50
- Completes technical, laboratory, or research tasks of a moderate level.
- Requires higher level of problem solving ability and attention to detail.
Regular (R4) - $10.25
- Duties are varied and semi-complex
- Involves a substantial degree of responsibility and judgement.
- Requires specific knowledge or skill and/or equivalent experience or training.
- Indirect supervision.
Technical (T4) - $11.00
- Completes technical, laboratory, or research tasks of a semi-complex level.
- Requires solid troubleshooting skills and experience handling common network and software problems.
LEVEL 5 - UNDERGRADUATES CANNOT EXCEED THIS LEVEL.
Regular (R5) - $10.50-$14.00
- Duties are varied and complex.
- Involves a high degree of responsibility and judgement.
- Requires a significant amount of specialized training.
- Independent work, highly skilled.
- Student is hired as a content expert
- Minimal supervision.
Technical (T5) - $11.50-$15.50
- Completes technical, laboratory, or research tasks of a complex level.
- Extensive knowledge of technology, laboratory equipment and procedures, or databases.
- Experience handling network, software and hardware problems, conducting extensive research, or conducting detailed data analysis.
- Provide course assistance and consulting.
LEVEL 6 - RESERVED FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS.
Graduate (GI) - $12.00-$18.50
- Student must be admitted for graduate work at the University of St. Thomas.
- Performs the more complex specialist work as described in level five above.
- Requires significant work experience in the specialty area in which they are working.
- May represent the University beyond campus.
Student Pay Rates - Law Student Positions
Law School pay rates are industry specific and based on degrees of skills, responsibility, and experience.
Year 1&2 (L1) - $11.50
Year 3 (L2) - $14.50
Contact Us, Location & Hours
Human Resources Department
Aquinas Hall, Room 217
Main Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm